Friend

Thesaurus

Do you call all your friends by their name? Maybe, don't. You call some of them using nicknames or just saying friend, don't you? Do you use other words for refering to friends?

In the following conversations, you can find 🖐🏻 of them. Try to guess the differences between them.

💬
Alfred: Hi mate! How is it going?
Ernest: Hi pal! Long time no see you.

💬
John: How was your holidays?
Rose: Quite good. I've spent amazing days with the girls in the countryside.

💬
Henry: This weekend, we're meeting with the shool friends. Would you like to join us?
Robin: I'm sorry, I can't. This weekend, I'm going out with the lads.

💬
Marie: Bestie, 
I love you.
Sally: Me, too.

Did you guess the difference between the previous ways to say friend?

Let´s read their meanings and other words for saying friend in the next paragraphs.

Acquaintance

It's likely that you haven't heard this term, have you? Well, an acquaintance is a person who we know and see sometimes but they are not close friends of us.

Yesterday, I came across with Sam, one of my acquaintances.

Mate

Brits use this slang word a lot. Mate is the most common informal way to say friend in the UK.

Hi mate. How is it going?

Alright mate?

Buddy

Well, if Brits have their own word for friend, North Americans have one, too. They use 'buddy' to refer to a friend in an informal way.

Antoine's going out with some buddies this weekend.

Pal

This one is an old-fashiones way to say friend.

Hi pal! Long time no see you.

The girls

Use these informal way when you are talking about a woman's female friends.

I spent amazing days with the girls in the countryside.

The lads

Yeah, there is an expression used to call men's male friends: the lads.

He's going out with the lads.

Oi lads!

Bestie

I can say for sure you have a person who is always there for you. I'm not talking about your lover but the other person you can trust anything. Yeah- your best friend. We use this British slang word for calling our best friend.

I love you, bestie.

I'm sure you have your own particular way to say bestie. So, I challenge you to use one of the others. Do you accept the challenge?

I hope everyone has enjoyed this lesson. Tell me in the 💬 if you have any question or if you just want to show your love for your bestie.

Recycle ♻ this post by sharing it with friends.

In case you have any question related to this lesson, remember that you could send me a message using the contact form 📧.

If you want to know when a 🆕 lesson is up for grabs, subscribe 🔝 - it's 🆓.

Take care❗

Cheerio

#education 📚 #language #English 💂 #learnenglish #learnenglishathome 🏡#studyenglish 👓 #englishlesson #englishlearning #englishexpressions #englishphrases #englishonline #inglesonline 💻 #englishoninstagram #easyenglish ✔ #englishwithaneu 📱 #englishwithaneu2020 📅 #songs 🎵 #newpost #vocabulary #vocab #theasaurus

0 Comments